7/18/11

Picture Frame Turned Personalized Wall Hanging

Hey everyone!

Today I'm going to show you a project that I did as a gift for my mom for Mother's Day.

I started out with this wooden picture frame that I bought from Goodwill for a few bucks.  Thrift stores have tons of old, outdated, wooden picture frames that are perfect for these types of projects!

I removed the glass from the frame and primed the wooden frame with 2 coats of Kilz. 



After the primer dried I brushed some black glaze on the frame, making sure to get glaze in every little crease and corner of the frame. I snatched up a whole gallon of Ralph Lauren glaze before they discontinued it from Lowe's.  This stuff is expensive but will last me years, as each project only takes me a tiny bit.


Immediately after applying the glaze I wiped it off with a cloth and let the remaining glaze dry.

I then cleaned and placed the glass back into the frame, leaving the cardboard backing off. I then picked a font I wanted to use in Microsoft Word, increased the font size to cover the entire landscape of the page, printed it off and taped the page to the glass. 

This is the part that takes patience.  Using the printed off paper as a stencil, I used a small paint brush, and acrylic paint to trace the words.  I let the first coat of paint dry and went over it a second time.  After the paint was completely dry and I was pleased with the look of the name, I attached a ribbon on the back and ta da!

There you have it.

I'll tell you how to make that pretty little book page wreath on the left some other time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment